

Well, after 22 months deployed to Iraq, my brother is HOME! I'm not exactly sure when he hit American soil, (I think it was Monday), but he is in Wisconsin doing debriefing and will be in Lincoln on Sunday. We are so proud of him. He earned a bronze star while he was there for rescuing a number of guys from an auto accident. I didn't realize what a big deal this was until I saw it and read the write up from the army. Pretty amazing. He lost a couple of close friends while he was there and his vehicle was hit by and IED (improvised explosive device) one night while he was on patrol. Miraculously, no one was hurt in the explosion. He went through more than I will ever know. He was very private about certain things, and I think that he just wanted to protect us from the horror that goes on over there. He is a true soldier. He LOVES our country. He would die for our country without even giving it a second thought. He is a true hero and I love him.
I learned so much from him while he was there. I learned to appreciate every day and to love your family every moment of every day. I learned to never hang up the phone or walk away from someone with out telling them how you feel about them because it may be the last time you talk to them. I learned a lot about sacrifice. I also learned that I don't really know what that word means. In my midwestern, middle class world, I don't have a clue what "sacrifice" really is. Ask Jason and I think you will get a totally new view of "sacrifice".
I also learned that one should NEVER walk past a man or woman in army fatigues without THANKING THEM for serving our country. They might not be fighting a war or putting themselves in harms way at that moment, but they are willing to and would do it without a second thought. If you have never done this, I challenge you to do it. It makes them smile and it makes you feel pretty good too.:) It make me cry every time I do, but I just keep doing it. I just don't think you can say "Thank You" enough to someone willing to fight for your rights.
Anyway, if you'd like to get in touch with Jason, I can get you his address. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.
No comments:
Post a Comment